Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Learning by DOING!

I decided to write about this powerful phrase: learning by doing. Why? Because, that is where I am right now! 

 

I must say that I am learning to embrace this phrase in all its glory and challenges.
As you may have read in my previous blogpost I decided to release my first single alone, or as you would call it in business terms; as an independent artist. 
 
Editing my video - waffles and coffee aid in the process!
This also means that I have to read a lot about which aggregator (cdbaby, tunecore etc) to use to get my music online on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon. I would lie if I said I found it fun to read my way through all the info about each one, but it won't get done if I don’t get my hands in the "dirty"!

Asking for help! 
Next step has been shooting and editing my music video and asking friends to help. I have a history of being very bad at asking for help. I always felt that if I did ask anyone, then they would probably expect a lot back from me and I would let them down. Even worse, what if I did not like what they had done and had to tell them? Yes, a blessing from my past. So, now you see why I often have chosen to work alone. 

Now that I am trying to change this, I am realizing that many people are just happy to help and do not expect anything in return. I am actually that kind of person too, which makes it even more funky, I gladly help people when I can and all I ask for in return is a "thank you". But, flipping the coin and being the one asking for help is so different. SO, overcoming this fear is also a part of the process. 

Lasse - chillin in between shooting my video
Having a “team” of good people around you, who help out as much as they want because they think it is fun is truly inspiring. This is what carries me through it all and keeps me focused and motivated. Of course there are other things than "asking for help" that affect my focus and determination, but this is a major one.

Lasse, my Danish Berlin friend, and I are editing my music video together. He took most of the shots of me here in my fave places in Berlin. All we used is my iPhone, an App called Super 8 (used to shoot most of the famous movie Searching for Sugarman), iMovie for the editing and our creativity (lattes, chocolates, cakes and laughs).

So, on that note I just encourage all of you out there to ask for help (preferably before you get stuck) and enjoy the ride with more people around you. It makes it so much more pleasurable to share the achievements and be in the creative process. Learning to listen to other people’s views on things and following your gut-feeling are key ingredients in taking things to greater levels.

Soon I will share my music video with you and I hope you will enjoy it as much as we did while making it.

Peace and love and keep your dreams alive!

Nina x

No comments: